Is Asphalt Shingle Roofing the Right Choice for Your Home? Here’s What You Need to Know
If you are in the market for a new roof and are overwhelmed by all the options available, you can’t go wrong with asphalt shingles. In this blog post, we'll discuss why asphalt shingle roofs should be at the top of your list regarding durability, cost, and ease of maintenance.
Continue reading to find out what sets an asphalt shingle roof apart from other roofing materials and make an educated decision for your home.
Introduction: What Is an Asphalt Shingle Roof?
Asphalt shingle roofs are made up of overlapping layers of shingles that are held together with nails or staples. These shingles are typically installed in a staggered pattern, with each shingle offset from the one below it, which helps create a strong barrier against rain and other weather conditions. This type of roof is made from asphalt-coated fiberglass or other organic material with protective granules on the surface that reflect UV rays and help extend the life of the roof.
Asphalt shingles have been one of the most popular roofing materials on the market for many years, so it is safe to say that this roofing style will not fall out of fashion anytime soon.
The Advantages of an Asphalt Shingle Roof
Your roof is one of the most important parts of your home, so you want to make sure you choose the right material. After going over the benefits of this roofing material, it should be easy to see why it is such a popular choice for homeowners all across the country.
Here are some of the reasons why you should invest in an asphalt shingle roof:
- Affordability: Asphalt shingles are one of the most affordable roofing options on the market. They are easy to install and require minimal upkeep costs, which makes them a great choice for budget-conscious homeowners.
- Durability: Asphalt shingles are designed to withstand extreme weather conditions, such as high winds and hail storms. They are also resistant to fire, so you can rest assured that your home is well protected from potential damage. On average, asphalt shingle roofs last 15-30 years, so you won’t have to worry about reroofing anytime soon.
- Easy Maintenance: Asphalt shingles require little maintenance, making them a convenient option for homeowners with a lot on their plates. You will need to occasionally clean your gutters and downspouts to prevent buildup, but other than that, you won’t have to worry about regular upkeep. If any of the individual shingles happen to get damaged, replacing them is a simple process that will keep your roof looking like new.
- Visually Appealing: You will never feel limited by your choices when you choose asphalt shingles for your roof. They come in a wide range of colors and styles that will match any home design, so you can always get the perfect look for your property.
Factors to Consider When Choosing an Asphalt Shingle Roof
When choosing an asphalt shingle roof for your home, you should keep a few things in mind. The first thing you need to consider is your area's climate. If you live in an area with extreme weather conditions, you need to ensure that your roof can withstand those conditions.
Another thing to consider is the complexity of your home’s structure. More intricate roofs typically require more time and money to cover properly with asphalt shingles.
Finally, you need to consider the look you are trying to achieve with your home. If you want a traditional look, an asphalt shingle roof is probably the right choice.
Types of Asphalt Shingles
Asphalt shingles can be made from various materials, including fiberglass and organic materials. Fiberglass shingles are the most common type of asphalt shingle. They are made from glass fibers coated with asphalt and then embedded in a layer of tar or adhesive. They are lightweight and boast a high fire rating.
Organic shingles are made with an organic felt mat that's coated with asphalt and covered with mineral granules. Organic shingles are heavier than fiberglass shingles, which means they typically last longer and are less prone to wind damage.
Both types of asphalt shingles are easy to install, affordable, and provide good protection against water penetration and hail damage.
Maintaining and Repairing Your Shingle Roof
As mentioned, asphalt shingles are durable, affordable, and easy to maintain. But like any roofing material, they require some basic care and maintenance to keep them looking and performing their best.
Here are a few tips to help you care for your asphalt shingle roof:
- Inspect your roof regularly: It's a good idea to visually inspect your roof at least twice a year or after any major weather event. Look for signs of damage, such as missing or damaged shingles.
- Keep your gutters clean: Clogged gutters can lead to water buildup on your roof, which can damage the shingles. Be sure to clean them out regularly (at least once a year) to prevent problems.
- Trim trees and other vegetation near your home: Overhanging branches can damage your roof, so keeping them trimmed back is important. If you have tall trees near your home, you may want to consider hiring a tree service to trim them back for you.
- Make repairs promptly: If you find damage on your roof, don't delay making repairs. The sooner you fix the problem, the less likely it is to cause further damage or lead to a leaky roof.
Contact Whiting Company: Your Shingle Roofing Experts
In conclusion, asphalt roofing is a great choice for homeowners and builders alike. It is durable, affordable, requires minimal maintenance, and comes in a wide range of styles and colors. If you're in the market for a new roof, consider asphalt shingles a reliable and cost-effective option.
We hope Whiting Company has illustrated why an asphalt shingle roof is a worthwhile choice for homes of all shapes and sizes. If you are looking for a local roofing company to answer additional questions or help you with the installation process, we will be happy to help. You can reach us at (301) 218-5400 or firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.